Bug: Google Console connection not working
Went through the screen below and clicked the + for G Search Console - GC1.png
Logged in to my Google account...
And then land at the GC2.png - doesn't load body content
When will this be fixed and working?
PS what is that error message about in GC3.png - I think it didn't like me posting pictures in the body of the message, so if you're seeing this I decided to try saving the pictures and attaching them and it worked... If that's the case, please fix that error message for the sake of others 😛
I send stuff in, they tell me to post it here. I post stuff here, sometimes they tell me to send it in...
I think Vendasta should be happy we report it and at least submit the report themselves or make it clear where to submit bugs and errors.
I am waiting to be compensated for all the time I spend sending in error reports, not really looking to go EVEN FURTHER out of my way...
You seem to know where to send it, you can copy and paste as well as I can and you're on salary, I'm not... (I feel this might come off rude, but I am just being logical)
Hi Tyler. The development team is looking into this. In the meantime, are your Google Search console accounts URL-Prefix or the new Domain accounts? Currently, only URL-Prefix accounts are supported, and you won't see Domain accounts in this list when trying to connect. Attached a screenshot of how to tell which type you have setup, inside Search Console. Here's an article for more info on the difference between the two types: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/34592
Hello! Exciting update, as of today, we now support connecting Google Search Console domain properties as well. So whatever your account type, it will now be able to connect to Business App Exec Report! Another small improvement we made, when connecting, we now pull in 90 days of history if it's available from Search Console. (Previously we pulled in only 30 days of history.). Finally, this data is also now available in Multi-Location report.