Community

Find answers, ask questions, and connect
with like-minded conquerers around the world.

Notifications
Clear all

What's the best way to use Google Q&A?

amberstrong
2 Points
Topic starter

Should businesses post their own questions? What are the best practices for using Google Q&A?

8 Replies
victor-b
1 Point

I’ve been telling my customers to ask themselves their own questions for years, especially if they’re a new business. Better to take control of that early before randoms start asking all sorts of weird stuff…

ozzy-humphrey
6 Points

I’m just starting to learn a little bit more about Google Q&A. Didn’t realize that asking yourself questions could be so useful… but it totally is. Now I’m telling all of my clients to also do so. Helps position them as the authority.

Paige Sutherland
120 Points

Absolutely is! The questions you’ll want to ask depends on the business category, but some FAQs to get you and your clients started could be:

• What are your holiday hours?
  • Is parking free?
  • Do you offer free wi-fi?

Hope that helps!

jeff-getlocal
241 Points

I tell them all to do this. Tell the story…Customer Experience starts in Search and continues through the complete customer journey. The better that experience is on the front end the more chance they have of conversion. This is a zero cost solution that has nothing but potential upside.

Story: Friends are out and decide to go bowling because it is hot out. I am trying to find out if they have socks for sale because I am in sandals.

The business can answer this question in Q & A along with cost.
Great experience and expectation are understood in advance.

Paige Sutherland
120 Points

This is a great example of how Google Questions are often left by someone who is ready to buy! It’s so important for businesses to be on top of their Questions, or else they might forfeit the customer to a competitor. And the beauty of it: the next guy strolling by in sandals may also become a customer because of that Q&A.

Thanks, Jeff!

jeff-getlocal
241 Points

Paige…any insight as to when this will be active in Google again? I am still not able to use the feature in several of the accounts that I have worked in.
Not sure I understand why they shut this off in response to COVID 19. It seems like it would have helped answer questions that were happening in search for businesses that wanted to give searchers more answers.

Paige Sutherland
120 Points

Hey Jeff,

Just like reviews, Google Q&A is gradually returning by country and business category. It seems to have started with US businesses primarily in shopping and restaurant categories. We anticipate that Q&A will return to other categories and countries after reviews have done so.

Google had two reasons for shutting off functionality: fewer support issues to allow them to reduce the number of staff at Google, and to protect businesses from receiving unfair reviews/Q&A. On the other hand, I agree with you! I can’t help but wonder if Q&A could have been a great resource for businesses. Have the businesses you manage received Q&A related to COVID, negative or otherwise?

I am keeping this article updated with any news we hear from Google, so check back to see the latest! Thanks!

jeff-getlocal
241 Points

I have not seen any negative reviews or Q&A due to COVID-19.